One of the problems in European PhD programs in medicine
and public health is the lack of information. Only few universities have
those programs on their web sites.
Therefore we invite all medical schools, schools of public health and
research institutes involved in such programs to send a manuscript no
matter whether they will or will not attend the Conference. You may
find the monograph describing different models to be of use. Following
are the Instructions (Instructions are also available for printing as MS
Word and Adobe PDF
Instructions for preparation of manuscript to be published in extenso in a monograph with a working title
European PhD Programs in Biomedicine and Health Sciences
One of the primary goals of the Conference is to get
insight how PhD programs in biomedicine and health sciences currently
look like in Europe. We believe that a publication with some introductory
articles written by the invited speakers might contribute to harmonization
and development of these programs. It is thus very important to collect
such data from as many European universities as possible. We kindly ask
even those universities which will not be able to attend the conference
to send us manuscripts about their programs. In return all first authors
and all institutions will receive one copy of a monograph free of charge.
For preparation of a manuscript please follow the rules outlined bellow.
- All manuscripts should be sent as attachments to the e-mail address
of Conference Secretary: Professor Jadranka Božikov, e-mail: Jadranka.Bozikov@snz.hr
- To have a monograph printed for the Conference all manuscripts must
be received until April 19th 2004.
- Manuscripts should be written using the most common fonts like Times
New Roman. If figures and pictures are included please incorporate them
in the text in JPG (JPEG) or GIF format. They will be reproduced in
black and white.
- Try to organize the manuscript as follows:
Name(s), surname(s), title(s) and academic position(s)
of all authors
References (if you use them please use Vancouver rules,
yr; vol: pp)
- Writing the manuscript please tray to answer the questions outlined
- Do you have a PhD program at your medical school, school of public
health or research Institute?
- If so, is it covering only a certain more or less narrow field
(i.e. neuroscience, public health etc.)?
If you have more than one program please provide a list of all programs.
- Are you planning to organize a new PhD program(s) in accordance
with the Bologna Declaration?
- If you don't have a PhD program what is a substitute for it in
scientific/academic career (for example habilitation (please give
us a short description), published papers (is it a quantitative
criterion), experience (is it quantitative)?
- If you have a PhD program is it organized:
- as research under the guidance of a supervisor of the PhD
thesis only or
- a combination of research for the thesis and organized courses
(please specify the course load)?
- If your answer to the previous question was (b) please answer
- is the study divided into fields (disciplines),
- are the students allowed to choose courses regardless of disciplines,
- duration of the PhD study in years.
- Is there an intermediate degree (for example Master of Science,
licentiate) before or during attaining the PhD and, if so, state
the name of the degree.
- Conditions for PhD enrolment: whether MD or some other degree
is a prerogative (and which?).
What is the required grade average and whether supervisors are required.
- Conditions for approval of PhD dissertation: number of accumulated
credits, number of published papers, other.
- Are foreign experts involved in evaluation of PhD dissertation?
- Appearance of the PhD dissertation: whether or not it contains published
- Whether the attainment of the PhD degree a prerequisite for
academic career (i.e attaining a status of associate professor or other).
- Manuscript should not exceed 4 pages (single spacing, font Times New
Roman 10 pt).
Also, we kindly ask you to fill out the enclosed Questionnaire
that is at the same time Registration form. This will enable the organizer
to prepare an overview of PhD programs in Europe. Please visit the Registration
& Questionnaire page, fill out the Questionnaire and send it to the Conference President.